A Pop Rebellion
Ben Levy is a north London based portrait/figurative artist. People are describing Ben's work as pop art with a rebellious twist. He conveys everyday issues that have become fashionable through the press.
The general public love a story so Ben tries to capture political, racial, sexual and many other topics in a comic like scenario using famous faces well known throughout society.His work is extremely quirky and comical.
Asked about his work Ben explains, 'I love the fact that as these faces keep on changing along with the stories so can the paintings. Each change, each new feature, a wrinkle or a blemish for example can be added at a later stage, it makes me feel as though the painting is never finished and I love that, it seems corrupt to sell artwork that isn't finished and I think that says slot about the ideas behind my work.
Corruption seems to be a very fashionable trait nowadays..
Galleries and exhibitions...
- Nowhere north gallery (London) 2008, Group show.
- Nowhere north gallery (London) 2009, Knucklehead T-shirt launch.
- Nowhere north gallery (London) 2009, 'Boat race' solo show.
- Jealous Gallery (London) 2009
- Nowhere north gallery (London) 2010, 'Media' solo show.
- Strand gallery (London) 2010, fashionable disaster' solo show.
- Ligne Roset (London) 2010-2012.
- The Other art fair (London) 2011.
- Debut Contemporary gallery (London) 2011- ongoing
- The Other art fair (London) May 2012.
- 'Arts for India' launch at 'The Guggenheim' (New York) 2012.
- The Other art fair (London) Nov 2012.
- 'The Wellington' (London) 2012.
- Curious duke 2013
- Four20 2013
- Grand designs London 2013
- Wetfishcafe cafe London 2013
- Proud galleries (RAW) 2013
- Monsters of art 2013
- Cass art 2013
- Debut contemporary group show 2014
- Floodlight Foundation,
- Arts for India.
- Maison Twenty Fashion,
- Harvey Nicks (London)
- Browns (London)
- Harrods (London). 2012 - ongoing
- Harvey Nicks Dubai
- Toms Eyewear, 2012,
- Toms Footwear, 2012,
- Uffizi gallery 2012,
- Cirque du soir, 2013
- Real Artistic people clothing. 2013 - ongoing
- The Shape Strategic Marketing & Branding. 2013
- RAW art. 2013
- Browns 2013 (live painting)
- Maison 20 pop up shops
- AMAKA pop up boutique, westfields. 2013
- The Review magazine 2013
- Short list mag 2012
- Notion magazine 2013
- 55 pages magazine
- The huffington post 2014
- Mix mag 2014
- Tatler 2014